How to fix Windows Explorer crash when viewing folder with .avi / movie files?

My new machine suddenly got a strange problem. I had recently upgraded my Windows XP Professional to Service Pack 3(SP3), but I donno how this strange problem started all of a sudden.

Problem : Windows Explorer hangs/crashes when opening folders that have movie files(.avi files). I searched the internet for many solutions ranging from deleting some registry keys and also un-registering some Thumbnail creation dlls. But none of the solutions worked.

Solution : Finally, this is the solution that I cam up with and it works fine now. I have DivX as well as K-Lite codecs installed in my machine. So I first upgraded my DivX Package to the latest version available on the net. Then I installed the latested package of the K-Lite codec - while installing K-Lite prompted if I would like the un-install the DivX codecs as the same were being provided by K-Lite to. Fine - since I had read a detalied article that the problem of explorer crashing could be attributed to a corrupt xVid Codec which happens to be a part of DivX package as well as K-Lite.

So I happily unistalled the DivX one and installed the complete K-LIte package and re-started my machine. All things are fixed now and even ThumbNails come up fine.

Well, the trick seems to be in installing the latest K-Lite Codec package to fix this issue and removing all the confilicting codecs from your machine. Hope this info helps all those who are struck with this problem.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...