An Inspiration

Tonight my parents came over for a birthday hike we planned for our daughter.

Afterwards, my husband and I sat at the kitchen table and chatted with my parents as we normally do.
We laughed as Dad and Mom gave each other a hard time about silly things, and my husband and I joked and chimed in with our own examples.
After they left, my husband said that he realized why we are working out so well. He said that he is a lot like Mom and I am a lot like Dad.
What?! I said laughing.
My Mom.
One of the persons that I look forward to seeing and spending time with on a regular basis. One of the persons who I can call up for anything, like getting encouragement after a tough day to fitting it in her busy schedule to drop off medicine on a sick day.
I can see how they are alike.
My Dad...
As I watched a video on Simply Julie’s page earlier today, it reminded me of a moment I had as a kid. I might have been 12 at the most. I was attending a funeral in another state with my family. My younger cousin and I walked into a grocery store to buy some candy. While we were there, we heard a pharmacist tell a (homeless) man that he did not have enough money for his medicine. He told her that he would come back when he had enough. So after he walked away, my cousin and I went up to the counter and paid for his medicine.
My first thought when I left Julie a comment about that memory was that it might have been one of my first random acts of kindness. My second thought was trying to figure out who influenced me to do things like that. My third thought was, my Dad.
My Dad.
A man who I have seen do for others in need on many occasions. A man who gets his joy from giving. A man who is a lifelong learner and who consistently challenges himself and others to improve. A man who at times has a tough exterior, but has a heart that forgives often and loves easily.
I'm like my Dad...I'll take it!
My husband and I have really been enjoying our alone time with my parents these last few months. Living 45 minutes away and having a large family can make it a challenge to sneak in some alone time with them. I used to see them on a daily basis, but they were often busy stress-filled moments, because they were usually at the office during business hours. These days when I visit with them, it is during our leisure time. We get together on the weekends or in the evenings for dinner and we get to spend quality time talking and laughing.
For 32 years, I have watched them deal with finances, family, religion and raising children. Because of that, I learned at an early age that marriage is not easy. However, I also learned that marriage, though full of challenges and obstacles, can be beautiful!
My husband and I have had enough experience with previous relationships to know that marriage takes a lot of work, and even though this time around, it feels like this marriage is going to be a piece of cake, we know not to let our guards down.
Our marriage takes priority.
We love each other like there is no tomorrow.
We look to God for strength, and to other couples for inspiration.
Other couples, like my Dad and my Mom.
After they left, my husband said, “My cheeks still hurt from laughing.”
I had been thinking the same thing.
I never thought I would be thankful for any kind of pain, but cheeks that hurt because we laughed so hard with my parents, (a couple that has been loving each other for over 33 years,) I can handle that. 

Today I am linking up with Julie at Marriage Mondays.    
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...