Raising Honest Children


From the moment I found out I was pregnant with my little Jocelyn, I focused all of my energy on her and her well-being. It started with me eating the right foods, drinking the right drinks, and taking the proper vitamins so that she would be healthy and strong when she was born.
Then after she was born, I added many other things to my list of things I must do to keep her healthy and safe. She was so special, so beautiful, such a gift! I wanted to do everything in my power to raise her right. Her future was in my hands. I was so blessed, so fortunate and so... scared!

Jocelyn skating with elbow & knee pads...

Now my little girl is seven and I am a stepparent to three other wonderful children! My list of how to parent ((effectively)) in order to keep all four of our children healthy, happy and safe has grown even more!
There are so many things that we are trying to teach our children. With a blended family, we do not have total control over what the children see, hear and do when they are in the other parents' homes, but we hope that our persistence will pay off. We are focused on teaching them the best we can when they are in our care, praying when they are away and hopefully, our influence and prayers will be enough to help guide them.

We thought it looked like the cacti were hugging... :)
When I had my little girl, I was focused on keeping her physically healthy and safe. It never occurred to me just how much effort it was going to take to raise her up so that her mind was just as healthy! It takes a lot of dedication to raise a healthy minded child, one that has self-esteem, courage, faith, a positive outlook, and... integrity. 
Integrity is one of the many things that my husband and I are working on with our children at the moment. I have mentioned in the past that our children (like most children) have dabbled in telling lies and we take this behavior very seriously. The little white lies make it easier to start telling larger lies. Lies can put our children in danger of losing our trust, and it can put them at risk for many other hurtful things in their lives. Lies make it easier for our children to partake in habits that we want them to stay away from. 

Adulterers, cheaters, thieves, & other types of criminals all tell lies... We are making it very clear how unhealthy it is to lie. They know that dishonest people do not make great spouses, parents, friends or role models. We want them to have a great respect for themselves and for others so that they will have healthy relationships. We also want them to learn how important it is for them to keep honest friends and find a trustworthy person to marry so that they can have the best life and afterlife possible! 

Our newest family prayer (that has been posted on the fridge)…

Dear Lord,
Please help me to be honest and true.
I always want to tell the truth, even when I am afraid to.
Others might not know when I tell a lie, but you see everything. I do not want to let you or my family down.
Since honesty is important to you, help it be important to me too.
In Jesus’ name, I pray.
Amen.

A false witness will not go unpunished, and he who speaks lies will not escape. ~Proverbs 19-5
Whoever can be trusted with very little can also be trusted with much.~Luke 16:10
I strive always to keep my conscience clear before God and man.~Acts 24:16
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...