"Thou shalt never have to wash laundry again."


I remember years ago, when my dad was telling family members about an incident that happened once when he tried to help my mom do laundry. By mistake, he used cat litter instead of laundry detergent! The point of that story was to share laughs and it worked. Everyone laughed including me, except I’m embarrassed to say that I added my own unnecessary sarcasm. I stated that it would have never happened if he helped mom around the house more often. Ouch! I know, I should have been slapped. My grandpa did give me a surprised look and for a moment I thought, did I cross a line? However, my conclusion was that he just did not know that my dad and I could tease each other like that.

Nearly a decade later, I remember that comment and I feel bad about it! I am now married to a man that is similar to my dad in so many ways. One of the similarities is that he is such a hard working man. Sometimes, I tell him how nice it is to have a husband to do all of the “manly” chores. I could learn to fire up the grill, or fix a running toilet, but I probably never will. The fact is that my husband does such a great job and it feels nice to let him take care of me. He does things for me that I do not really like or care to do and I do the same for him. For instance, the housework is my job. He works so hard outside of our home that I rarely ask him to lift a finger inside. Sure, he can take care of the plumbing or hang up frames, but when it comes to cleaning and laundry he would rather not. That is okay with me. I enjoy doing it – for him! I respect and love my husband so much that I’d rather him never have to lift the laundry detergent again and my guess is that my mom felt the same way.

This post is linked to Marriage Mondays


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...