Women.Fighting.Breast.Cancer.

When I think of breast cancer, my first thought is not the disease it is the women. This disease affects over 200,000 lives each year and yet, in spite of these facts it is not the disease that comes to my mind.
First, I think of women. Then I think of the color pink. Then I think of the disease. Strange isn’t it?

Women.
Strong women turned weak.
Weak women turned strong.
Women uniting for a cause.
Women uniting for life.
Women uniting for women.
Women. Fighting. Breast. Cancer.
Women across America show their courage, their strength and their determination each day.

Sadly, some do not beat this disease, but fortunately, others do. Many do. With awareness and with regular check-ups women can beat the odds.  
I find myself amazed by these strong women, by survivors! I am featuring a breast cancer survivor and my new bloggy friend in my post for today.

Meet Kathy Davenport.
TEAM DAVENPORT in the 2009 Making Strides Breast Cancer Walk last October
Woman. Daughter. Sister. Wife. Mother. Friend. Christian.
Survivor.
A woman whose life changed in February 2006, because after a routine mammogram, she was diagnosed with stage one breast cancer. Her younger sister had breast cancer 18 years prior to her own diagnosis.
Fortunately, Kathy had no lymph node involvement so she did not have to take chemo. She did have radiation 5 days a week for 6 weeks. After she beat the cancer, she felt stronger in “body, mind and soul.”  She believes that each day is a gift and now feels wonderful, healthy, and happy to be alive.
Kathy remembers that fear was the strongest emotion felt during this time in her life. Fear of the unknown. She admits she was worried. However, she was able to use her faith as a crutch.
She said, “I turned to my faith.  I always thought I was a Christian, but I learned I truly did believe.   The cancer tested my faith and I passed!  I knew God was with me no matter what and I was not afraid.  I tell people all the time that learning how strong my faith is was the true ‘gift’ of cancer”.
Breast cancer was not the first battle Kathy fought. She lost a son during her 7th month of her first pregnancy, but she pulled through that as well. When life gets tough, she says that she finds her strength in her family, her friends and her faith.
When asked if she had any recommendations for other women, she said that women should turn to God and place EVERYTHING in His hands.  They should find doctors that they trust. They should also stay positive and remove themselves from any negativity.
Kathy has been married for 32 years and is the mother to 2 sons and 2 daughters. She has also been blessed with 9 grandchildren.
Kathy's philosophy comes from a quote that she shares with us today, “Every tomorrow has two handles. We can take hold of it with the handle of anxiety or the handle of faith."
She chose faith!
If you have a moment head over to Kathy's page to say, "Hi," to wish her continued wellness and strength or to thank her for her inspiration!
 *************
I wrote today’s post as part of the WOW-Women on Writing Blanket Tour for Healing with Words: A Writer’s Cancer Journey by Diana M. Raab, MFA, RN.  The book includes Diana’s experiences, reflections, poetry and journal entries, in addition to writing prompts for readers to express their own personal stories. A survivor of both breast cancer and multiple myeloma, Raab views journaling to be like a daily vitamin–in that it heals, detoxifies and is essential for optimal health.
Diana, the author of eight books, spent 25 years as a medical and self-help writer before turning to poetry and memoir. She teaches creative journaling and memoir in UCLA Extension Writers’ Program.

If you comment on today’s post you’ll be entered to
win a copy
of Healing with Words: A Writer’s Cancer Journey. To read Diana’s post about breast cancer and a list of other blogs participating in Diana’s Blanket Tour visit The Muffin  

Stepping into the Ring...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...