Life is a Dance


20 years ago, I stepped into the living room to watch my baby brother dance.
My brother had some very cool moves when he was little. He used to move his feet and shoulders just like Michael Jackson and my whole family loved to watch! However, to my surprise, one day, he looked up at me with his big blue eyes and in a squeaky little voice he said, “Awe! Sister is here. Get out of here, sister! I’m not dancing for you!”
To this day, it makes me laugh just thinking about it. He hadn't quite learned how to pronounce his “R’s”, and yes, it was a little mean, but he was just the cutest kid ever and I loved him.
I was the only girl in the family and for some reason I was his target. My littlest brother did not have a little-er brother to pick on, so he chose me. For many years, he did not want much to do with his "big sister".
He did not let me watch him dance and he did not dance along with me, like some of my other brothers did. He usually kept his distance. He did his own thing. 
Sometimes, we would have our moments together. I would read him Shel Silverstein books as we cuddled under the covers. However, most of the time, he kicked me out.
So I watched from other rooms. I peeked around the corners. I secretly watched him dance the very first night he sent me away, and I have been watching ever since.
I have watched him dance through life.
After all, that is what life is, right? A dance.
John Michael Montgomery thinks so too… J

"Life’s a dance you learn as you go
Sometimes you lead, sometimes you follow
Don’t worry about what you don’t know
Life’s a dance you learn as you go"


It is true, life is a dance...
Sometimes we lead. Sometimes we follow. Sometimes we dance solo. Sometimes it is a team effort. Sometimes we move too fast. Sometimes we move too slowly. Sometimes we lose our balance.
One thing that is certain. No matter where we are, who we are dancing with, or how we dance, there is always someone on the sidelines watching and cheering us on.
20 years ago, my little brother did not know that I kept watching him from another room, but I did.
I was watching then and I am watching still.  
I am on the sidelines watching and quietly cheering him on.
I always will be...
********************************

My baby brother celebrated a birthday about a week ago. I may be a little late, but late or not, it’s all love! J
Brother, if you were a girl, I would call you a dancing queen, but…that is my role in the family ~ haa! So instead I'll say Happy Birthday Little Brother. Keep on dancing! Love you!


"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain" 
"It is not the movements that make a dance beautiful, it is the emotions that inspired the movements
that make it beautiful"
"If you stumble, make it part of the dance"
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...