Project 31 & A Tribute

Today is day 5 for Project 31 and the focus is "someone who made my heart come alive."

Of course, the obvious answer is my husband! He is the first person that comes to mind, because of how absolutely thoughtful and loving he has been to me and my daughter. These past 3 years have been amazing and I am so blessed.   

However, some of you know, this has been a difficult time for many of my family members. We have had 3 deaths this month. One of which, was my Great Aunt Ramona. 


Ramona Casias (left) 2008

About 10 years ago, I was collecting letters from family members and friends to create a personal memoir/ scrapbook. Sweet Aunt Ramona, who I am sure made many hearts "come alive" mailed me a beautiful letter and I would be honored to share it:

 *************************************************

First I must apologize for being so late, as it is way past Thanksgiving.

My name is Ramona Casias. I am 76 years old. I was born in Lamar, Colorado on August 8th, 1924. My parents were Apolonio and Relles Rodriguez. They were born in Aguas Caliente Mexico and came to the United States in 1912. They raised a family of 12. Seven girls and five boys. We always worked out on farms. We all attended school in Delta, Co and in 1940 we moved to Montrose, where I met the Casias family.

In 1946, I married Roy Casias after World War II and (after he completed) his service. He was in the South Pacific for almost 3 years, mostly in New Guinea and the Philippines. He came home January of 1946 and we married on the 19th of January.

Our first son, Steven, was born May 23, 1947. Our second son, Daniel was born 1949. Our daughter Martha was born 1952. Our son David was born in 1955. I am very proud of my children.

My family is the most important part of my life. My nieces, my in-laws (Florence, Virginia, Rose, Virgil, Tere) and all of their families and my sister in Sacramento, Ca. I only have 1 brother and 1 sister left.

Roy and I liked to attend church regularly. He and I were Eucharistic ministers at mass. I still attend mass. I am a lifetime member of Ladies Veteran Auxiliary and Roy was a lifetime member of Veteran of Foreign Wars. He was very proud of his service to his country.

After he came back, he thought God had brought him back for a purpose and he built many houses.
Our marriage was always busy. We both worked hard and God blessed us for 52 great years. He was one great man. I have missed him every day since he has been gone, but God chose for me to go on living.

My most memorable moment was the birth of my children.

My favorite prayer is the 23rd Psalm.

I have enjoyed life. Everyday is a miracle that God gives us. A beautiful sunset or sunrise. The beauty of a rainbow. The beauty in a child's eyes. The love a mother has for her child. God has given us so much.

What you are doing has made me think of my life, my childhood, my life in general and I truly think God has blessed me.

Thank you so much and may God Bless you always.

Love Always,
Aunt Ramona


 ***************************************************

 When I think of Aunt Ramona I think of a petite woman, with a big heart. We have heard that the eyes are the window to the soul and this statement comes to mind when remembering my Aunt. She had these eyes that looked at you with so much love and a smile that exuded kindness. 

Growing up we often traveled to Colorado for family reunions and other celebrations. They were fun times, full of chatty people that were happy to reunite and catch up on the latest news. I always noticed that Aunt Ramona sat quietly with the other women in our family. She seemed to spend most of her time watching, listening and smiling. She struck me as timid and I always felt comfortable visiting with her, because I was quite shy myself. 

As I read her favorite prayer, the last line really comforted me, "Surely goodness and love will follow me all of the days of my life and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever." I smiled, because I noticed that she had passed just a few days before her Wedding Anniversary and I could just imagine Uncle Roy welcoming her into Heaven with a big hug, just in time to celebrate.

~And God Bless You Aunt Ramona...

Until we meet again.




She Breathes Deeply

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...