Letters to My Children


One of the greatest inventions ever...the camera! We get to capture moments that may never happen again. Moments that make us gasp, laugh, cry, pray and sometimes scream. The camera allows us to preserve our memories. We may forget, but photos never do. They are a reminder of what was.
Although, if I had to choose between my camera and my pen, I would gladly choose my pen! Images are beautiful, but words are what speak to my soul. The written word has made me fall in love, brought me to tears, caused me to laugh, helped me understand, has given me perspective, stimulated my mind, provoked anger, encouraged sympathy, developed passion, inspired motivation, taught me so much and yes, this long list goes on!
I love scrapbooking. I take pictures daily and save them for my children, but I also write them letters. Some of the letters, I have already given to them. Others, I save, because they are to be read by them, when they are much older. There is no standard form. I just write whatever I am feeling at the moment. Some of their letters were written during times that our family experienced change or on their birthdays describing the things that they currently love, say and do.
I plan to be around long enough to help plan the kid’s weddings, to cuddle with grandbabies even great grandbabies, I hope! However, just in case God has other plans for me, my words will always be there to remind them of my love.
I will post some of the letters to my children on occasion. Here are bits and pieces of the very first letter I wrote to Jocelyn 7 years ago, when I was still pregnant with her.



5/2003

Dear Jocelyn,

Oh, how I want to teach you so many things.

…………I want to teach you that it is important to create a relationship with God and keep it……Always remember that you have a family that adores you and a God that will never turn his back on you………..Remember to pray about everything. I know we have a tendency to pray only when things go wrong, but remember to pray and thank God for the good in your life too. Keep a bible next to your bed, on the kitchen table or even in the bathroom. Keep it someplace that you will see it every day to remind yourself what you should aspire to be……..Try to make friends that have the same values as you.....choose wisely......Do not judge people for their mistakes, love them, help them and learn from them……..Be an honest and kind person. Always think before you speak. Speak your opinion when necessary, but always do it with kindness…….I wish so much for you! Every night when I feel you kicking before I fall asleep I am so happy and yet so afraid. Will you adore me as much as I adore my mother? Will I be able to protect you from the world and still give you just enough freedom to find your true self? Will you get to experience a strong loving relationship by watching your parents as I did growing up?.........I simply adore you and so far all I have to hold is a blurry black and white picture that I hang on the fridge. I love you so much and all you can do it toss and turn in my belly, eat my left overs and hiccup occasionally. I cannot even imagine how much I will love you the moment you are placed into my arms.

Until Then,
Mommy
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...